Sunday, September 21, 2008

Happy Yellow BumbleBLOG

Welcome to Happy Yellow Bumblebee! This is my new blog for all of my artistic endeavors. I hope to share creative projects, painting and drawing tips, knitting and crochet projects, party planning ideas, kids arts and crafts, homemade gifts, home decor and holiday creations, so on and so forth. I also hope to meet other creative folks to learn from and swap ideas and maybe even art!

Here is my artist's bio~
I am a 28-year-old daytime stay at home mama, wife, artist, and rockin' music lover. I have been drawing since I was a child. Actually, the artistic touch runs in my family. My mother and grandmother are both artistically talented. For as far back as I can remember I have always wanted to draw people. I have been doing portraits for commission for about 7 years now! I love the challenge of capturing one of the hardest subjects, the human face.

In 2000 I was accepted into the Art Institute of Chicago, which was a cool accomplishment, after 2 years at community college. I did not attend the institute, as I couldn't come up with that kind of dough. Instead, I choose a college closer to home (Bradley University), and I also worked at the Peoria Art Guild for 2 years, expanding my knowledge of the local art community.

About this time I met my future husband and baby number one came. With these major life changes I became a bit distracted from school, and decided to take a break to focus on my family.
About 5 years ago, I started my own business drawing and painting portraits from snapshots. I began by doing them as gifts for friends and family. It was a great way for me to continue making art, keep my portfolio growing, while also make a little extra spending money. Baby number 2 came in 2005. I have continued to do portraits for commission consistantly, by word of mouth and online customers. I am lucky to get to stay home with my 2 boys, and create art whenever I get a chance.

Lately I have been doing a lot of knitting, crocheting, and of course lots of kids art projects, which I will also be happy to share here!

So why "Happy Yellow Bumblebee"? That is the name of a song by my favorite band, of Montreal, and I thought it was appropriate for an artsy blog! Here are the lyrics to the song.

I am a happy yellow bumble bee, I fly around the flowers and trees
and all morning long, I flutter about in the swirling breeze and the sun is yellow like me

I am a happy yellow bumble bee, everything's so much bigger than me
but I'm not afraid, for if something gets too close, I give them a sting that makes them howl and scamper away..

No I'm not afaid, though sometimes I get lonely because my parents are dead and I can't find my brothers or sisters..

At night the sky looks so black and I can't find the sun. It doesn't matter how hard i try, but when i feel like I'm covered in darkness, and that light won't touch me anymore... I hear the cardinals singing and I know who they're singing for when I see the sun......

That makes me a happy yellow bumblebee, all my friends are beetles and centipedes and all
summer long we laugh and we play, but we don't talk to spiders because they're mean and they try to trick us, because they want to eat us..
but they'll never beat us....

No comments: